Thursday, March 19, 2009

To Dad On HIs Birthday

My Dad turned 67 yesterday.I called him in the morning to wish him and as I heard him laughing over the phone it brought certain memories .

My Dad , a retired police officer,never wore his feelings on his sleeve.He was always the extremely strict tyrant at home.The moment we hear his Police Jeep screeching on the graveled courtyard,we used to run to our study rooms dutifully studying .He expected silence at home .I hated him then and longed to breakfree .
I never used to talk to him or he to me until unless it us absolutely necessary and I haven’t figured out why or when this strange and uncomfortable distance creeped between us.
The last memory of our closeness is when I was in my third standard .
He sowed in me the love for books.He brought me books ever since I started reading.He didn’t care even if I were having my exams ,he would still buy me books for relaxed reading after studies.And I remember him teasing me by holding the book high and me jumping up and swinging on his arms in a desperate attempt to snatch it .Thereafter I remember him only as the strict Dad.
I started seeing him in a new light after my marriage.He was against my choice and he tried to convince me logically first and then force me out of it .That was the first time when I looked him in his eyes with defiance .He gave in and that was a moment of reform both for me and for him since by that approval little did he know that he is bringing in someone who doesn’t hesitate to express emotions in public.

It took a little while for the ice to thaw and the son –in –law became no less than his first born and smile made appearance on his face often .My husband succeeded in invading those deepest arenas of his heart which he dared not allow entry to anyone even my mom.I saw a new dad ,a reborn dad.The smiles became laughter when he set his eyes upon his grand son with his very same birthmark .Now that smiles are there to stay and we talk often and discuss matters and I am with this conviction which I never had before …My dad loves me ..he loved me always even though he never disclosed it .
He is still little reserved but he doesn’t hesitate to show his care or to laugh and play with his grandchildren and I am so proud and happy to be his daughter.
I love you Dad.

No comments: