Saturday, March 21, 2009

Back to Where I belong

My life has entered yet another phase.After a sabbatical of two years ,I will be resuming my role as a teacher from the first of April.
I donned the mantle of a teacher on account of my dad.I had a very strong inclination towards literature but my dad wanted me to pursue science.I had to opt from Physics and Chemistry and I chose the latter.I didn’t have any particular like or dislike for the subject till I reached the final year of my graduation

Pro:.K.C Mani ,I would speak of him as the best teacher that I ever had.I wouldn’t realize how the other wise annoying one hour lecture would zoom away while he used to be on the elevated platform.Earlier my library visits were only for reading novels and then I found myself devouring references on Chemical Equilibrium and Le Chateliers Principle.Chemistry is supposed to be a volatile subject but whatever I learned under his guidance is still imprinted in my brain in bold alphabets . Still my life was without a definite goal.

It was Prof :John Kuruvilla who revealed the wonderful world of Forensic Science.He was my class teacher and taught us Organic Chemistry.I marvelled his capability to recollect the numerous name reactions which I still find untenable.I pursued Analytical Chemistry for my Post Graduation ,aspiring to be a Forensic Analyst.But my dad didn’t consider it as the right career choice for a girl and in the end I had to bury my dreams and go in for a Bachelor of Education degree.

It was like an arranged marriage .It took two years for me to fall in love with teaching. I cherish many proud moments in my seven years as a teacher.Each time I succeed in passing on a difficult and confusing concept it gives an unexplainable joy.I would compare it to what a mother feels when she perceives the face of her new born after the travails of birth she had gone through.

I love being a teacher. I believe a teacher can make or break the future of a child.There is this particular moment from the movie ‘ Mr Holland’s Opus ‘ which would be the dream of every teacher.On the day of retirement,standing before all those students whom you have influenced and guided to become a somebody in their lives.
And that is my dream too.

No comments: